Thursday, September 4, 2008

Another week, now one month plus

Well, it doesn't quite seem possible that it has really been a month since I left the states.  Its not like it seems like its been less, but its kind of hard to imagine that I'm 1/10 of the way done with my missionary experience in Majuro.  Things have been really going well.  Just like any classroom, there are problems, but that comes with the territory alas.  I guess I still live under the LE motto "Do your best, God will do the rest, and you will be blessed"  I've spent a month doing my best, God has been doing the rest, and not only I, but others have been blessed.  

Yesterday night we went to our first funeral. I didn't know the man personally, but around here, that really doesn't matter much.  If you know people who know them you are pretty much required to go.  It was a beautiful service I'm sure, but it was all in marshallese.  I'm not to fluent yet in marshallese, so it was just alot of sitting on the floor and listening to alot of people talk.  Thats another thing, everyone who knew the person talks, if your important and you didn't know him you talk, you get the hang of what I'm saying.  You pay a $1 and get free food though, its kind of different, it can go for weeks to.  They seal the coffin and watch it for weeks sometimes........I don't quite understand it, but its not mine to understand.  

Its kind of sad, its been a few days since I've been able to swim, and right now is the best time.  2 times a month, we get really high and really low tides.  They are fun to swim in, you get out past the breakers and you are riding waves, which is a really fun thing, then you get to see what its like not on the reef.  I haven't been out because I'm still trying to get well, for the most part I feel really good, but my nose is still clogged occasionally, which is kind of frustrating.  

So this sunday the church is having a get-together on one of the islands that you have to take a boat to get to, I'm pretty excited about going.  I'm hoping that we get to have some swimming time on a nice sandy beach, at the school we have coral, not sand, which coral is nice, but not nice to run on.  

This week I had two classes that had tests, its amazing how some students that you think are going to do really well don't, and ones that you don't think are listening to you are actually doing well.  I know I shouldn't be surprised at this anymore, but it sure amazes me still.  So for now, the internet doesn't work at the school, we have to go to a resort and buy some food to use the internet, which I guess it is a small price to pay for having some communication with family and friends.  Well, I should probably get working on other things now. 

1 comment:

Evan said...

SOunds like you are enjoying teaching! I am glad that you are reminded that God is blessing there, it helps make it worthwhile.