Saturday, April 4, 2009

Another week down

Last week was a particularly fun week.  The week seemed long until I got to Thursday.  When Thursday got here I was excited for two reasons, first it was a half day because of parent teacher conferences, and secondly it was because I was going to go take pictures of the island MCI (Mass Casualty Incident).  We went out to the airport and got ready; I got out my camera and started taking pictures.  I was listening to what the leaders were saying, because I like being involved, but I knew that I wasn’t going to get to be involved, it was not my program, so I had consoled myself that I was going to just take pictures.  As I was walking around I was confronted by a guy aptly named Chief.  He asked me what I was doing and what my expertise was.  I told him I was a EMT and trained in Hazardous Materials.  He then asked me if I would be willing to evaluate the event.  I asked him what area he wanted me to evaluate; he told me triage, ambulance operations, and hospital operations.  I was excited, I was hoping I could somehow help out, but ended up getting an unrestricted pass to the airport for the drill.  I got to evaluate how the system worked and got to have fun telling what I thought.  I got to ride to the hospital in an ambulance with lights and siren blaring. 

 

Being from the main land where we do things a lot different, I was quite reticent about how they did things over here, but after seeing it first hand how everyone works together, my mind is set at ease for how they work over here.  Really it's not any different than we work in he states, maybe they have different equipment, but the same thought and planning goes into their drills and SOP’s that we do in the states, so overall I’d give their Emergency personnel a very good grade. 

 

For all those who know anything about how they do school over here, we are just now finally on break for spring break.  It's very late, I don’t know for sure why it is so late, but with only about 1.5 months of school left we are taking a week off, it couldn’t have come soon enough, this break was needed very much for both the teachers and the students.  The students have been testing all of our nerves.  I think it's the adding of it being near break to it being near summer.  Really it feels like summer is just around the corner, and I guess for some of you it is.  I half envy you guys, but at the same time I wouldn’t give up my position here for anything, well, maybe I should say it would take a lot. 

 

This week had some rather exciting things too though, on Wednesday it passed the 2 month mark for when I get to come home.  There is a story around that that I need to tell.  We have 3 snow days built into the schedule.  Yes, they are called snow days.  So they are now seeing that we aren’t going to be using them for snow or anything else for that matter and now the school moved graduation back.  I was scheduled to leave the night of graduation, 1 June, but when they moved it I was thinking about changing my ticket.  I talked to my vice-principle and he said it shouldn’t be a problem.  I went to Continental and asked how much it would cost, expecting it to be like $100 or so, but they said that it was free, to that I was very thankful.  They also told me something that was less than thrilling, they said that I couldn’t change my ending airport.  When I made my return trip reservations they said that I should be able to change it to Denver since that is where I’m working this summer.  They informed me now that I had to fly back to Chicago, well that’s about 1200 miles from where I need to be, so I ended up having to change my tickets to 27 May so that I can get back to Chicago and then drive out to CO.  There is a silver lining to this problem, just like normal.  Since I having to leave that early means that I get to attend my cousin’s graduation in Laramie.  I’m pretty excited about that.  It also means that I’ll be getting to see a lot of my family a lot sooner than I had thought I would.  You don’t know how good that sounds to someone who has been 12000 miles away from family and those I love. 

 

 

No comments: