Friday, December 18, 2009

An adventure sooner than later?

I want to preclude this blog posting with its 3:00 am. You might ask what I'm doing up so early.....well I'll tell you. My body has this amazing system of after having slept 8 hours I wake up. Well last night I fell asleep at 7 pm. That makes for a very early morning. So thats why I'm writing a blog so early.

This is really the continuation of a story that started last summer. While I was traveling through Wyoming on my way to Yellowstone for our family reunion, I had a blow out. Now I've had blowouts before, not hard to deal with, but kind of frustrating. Wyoming however is desolate in places and the place I had the blowout was not any different. What made matters worse was the fact that it was 11:30 p.m. after a very long day. I finally hobbled my way into Casper, where I was going for the night, and got to bed. The next morning, I had to find a tire shop to replace my tire. I went to Big-O tires, where we bough the tires before and they were less then helpful. They finally gave me a "take off tire" in other words, a used tire that they had taken off another vehicle and sold it to me. I then continued my trip. I finally made it up to Yellowstone without any big trouble. After Yellowstone however I decided to make a trip to Idaho to visit a friend who was working there. About 20 from the Montana Idaho boarder I had another blowout. Same story all over again, except this time it was in the middle of the day. Let me tell you, I'm pretty good at changing tires. I got that one changed and continued to Coeur d'Alene Idaho. I then went through the same process again in trying to find a tire to replace my spare tire. This isn't the easiest thing to do either; my truck takes a very odd size of tire. After having found the right tire and having it replaced I headed up to see my friend. The next day when I was heading back to Cody Wyoming, my truck started having different problems. The whole truck was vibrating VERY badly. This was around the Bozeman Montana area. I thought that it must be a problem with my tires. The vibration was coming from what seemed like my front right tire, so I replaced that one with the spare at the first exit for Bozeman. I then got back on the interstate and it was still there. I got off at the next exit, and replaced the back left tire with the spare and got back on the interstate, still no dice. I got off at the last exit and changed my front left tire with the spare, and lo and behold, that was the problem it had a huge bulge in the tread. After that tire problem I made it the rest of the way home without much trouble. We replaced the two tires before I headed back to school.

Now you are probably asking what that has to do with anything. Well, on my trip home the other day I went to stop at a rest area and noticed my back left tire was flat. So right there in the rest area I changed my tire, it had a nice little crack in the side wall and was losing air really fast. I then put on the spare tire. Only to realize that it wasn’t full of air either, but it certainly had more air than the flat tire had. I drove up the road to the next exit that had a town and got off. I went to their filling station, but their air hose was broken, so I had to go to the next town and the next town. Finally I found a little town that had an operating air hose, and you know what, unlike most cities, these small towns have free air!!! I was so excited. I finally got back on the road and made it home in the longest trip ever, 10 hr to make a 7 hr trip. Not the most fun I’ve ever had on a trip home, but at least I know how to change my tire now.

No comments: