Monday, December 14, 2009

Rejoice.....

I had kind of a hard week last week. I was reading one of my friends notes and ran across this.

What a week. I can't exactly say I'm sad to see it end. This week I struggled. This week I fought. This week I had fun. This week I messed up and missed opportunities. This week I searched, and this week I found. This week I studied, I stressed, and I prayed. And this week, I learned...

If things had been up to me, they would have turned out differently. But they're not. And they didn't. Yet as I sat praying and pondering the meaning and purpose of prayer, a verse jumped into my mind. The verse was this one: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:6-7).

Slowly, God began to bring my mind into focus. I had been praying and petitioning God, and I was confused as to why things weren't working out according to my requests. That's when He gently reminded me of this text and pointed out that maybe I was wrong in my thinking... See, the verse doesn't say, "present your requests to God, and everything will work out the way you want it to," or "present your requests to God and whatever you desire will come to pass." It doesn't even promise that everything will be made clear or that we'll understand why things happen the way they do. No, the promise is something greater. The promise is... peace. Peace that transcends all understanding. Peace that says, "It's okay that things don't seem to be working out. It's okay that I don't understand right now. Because I know the One who does... and I trust Him."

The things I was praying for, well, they'll pass away. Yes, they seem important now. And maybe they are... but the peace that comes from trusting in a God whose plan is perfect and whose wisdom is magnificent? Nothing else really compares. That's the kind of treasure that will last. And that's a reason to rejoice. No matter what.

Another semester come and (almost) gone... and if this lesson is the only one I remember, then so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you Heidi for allowing me to reproduce this on my blog.

No comments: