Saturday, December 19, 2009

Contemplation......

I was listening to an excerpt from a speech. I usually don't listen to close to speeches, they are usually very skewed and I don't like that, but this really struck me.

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here...It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

This is part of a speech spoken by Abraham Lincoln. It was spoken at Gettysburg to honor the dead that gave "the last full measure of devotion" It really hit me. In a time that was so hard, a man tried his best to try and honor these men, he wasn't just speaking for his own men, I think he was talking about the men of both sides. I don't think that Lincoln wanted the war to happen at all and up on that podium looking out across the killing fields that had taken so many boy's lives, he had a great sadness in his heart.

I think then to what God would say. I don't know for sure, but it seems that there is evidence that he was a very Godly man. It seems like this speech might have been written by God, I can see that God would write very similar things. He might say something like this, "May you not forget the great cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion, the cause of Jesus." Jesus took it one step further...He was able to guarantee that those that gave their life for him, "there would be a crown of righteousness waiting for them".

I tell all my friends this, I have no bigger wish than to see you all in heaven with me. Jesus wishes that more than I do..........

No comments: